Re: Hobbies on Resumes for New Graduates

Subject: Re: Hobbies on Resumes for New Graduates
From: Bruce Byfield <bbyfield -at- axionet -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Thu, 04 Oct 2001 13:56:46 -0700

Marie C. Paretti wrote:

Anyway, my question deals with the difference between a resume from an experienced person, who should have enough to say w/o hobbies, and a college senior who may not have much experience at all. In the latter case, hobbies may be "padding," but that may be the only way the student can fill out his or her resume. Do you view a list of hobbies differently in this case?

Sooner or later, it's going to be obvious when a person is inexperienced: if not from reading the resume, then in the interview. That being so, hiding the fact is wasted effort. Any halfway competent interviewer will discover your inexperience.

In this situation, the best tactic is to turn that weakness into a strength as much as you can and list whatever can be made relevant under Hobbies. Obviously, you won't succeed in overcoming the weakness altogether. However, you can show that you're resourceful enough to try, and skilled enough to make the information relevant, and possibly gain a few points that way. Just possibly, these traits will make you look promising enough that some employer will take a chance on you.

When I first started tech-writing, I made use of every bit of experience that was even remotely relevant to the job. However, as I gained writing experience, I gradually dropped most of this section from my resume.

"I work for the pleasure of stopping,
I stop for the pleasure of beer."
-The Mollys, "The Lang Town"

October 3 and get a substantial discount! Program information, online registration, and more on http://ieeepcs.org/2001/