RE: Hobbies on a résumé (WAS: RE: New TECHWR-L Poll Question)

Subject: RE: Hobbies on a résumé (WAS: RE: New TECHWR-L Poll Question)
From: "Susan W. Gallagher" <SGallagher -at- akonix -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Thu, 4 Oct 2001 10:04:39 -0700

Okay. I've been a hiring manager more often than not over the
past 10 years or so. Here's my take.

I remember the early 90s when listing hobbies on a resume
was a standard thing to do. More resumes did list them than
didn't. I used the hobby section to guess at how the applicant
would fit in with the rest of the team. Was I right? Maybe.
Maybe not. But I was definitely being human.

* Do I want to mix the improv commedienne and the jazz radio
DJ. Yes, that sounds good. Call him in for an interview.

* Do I want to mix the secular humanist and the born-again
Christian? Nope. Next resume, please. (The secular humanist
was already on staff. The born-again Christian offered the
info in the hobbies [other activities] section.)

These days, very few resumes come through with a "hobbies"
section. I don't really miss the information and I feel that
more applicants get a fair chance at an interview. Now they
can hang themselves in person! ;-)

I still see an occasional resume with a "hobbies" section --
or one that lists age, marital status, height & weight... and
I think "this person is out of touch". Just the fact that the
information is present leads me through an evaluation process,
before and in addition to the additional info that I can also
evaluate.

I personally do not list hobbies on my resume. I do list STC
membership and confess that I am "a frequent presenter at
conferences". There have been times -- late April to early May
comes to mind (the annual STC conference is in May) -- that
this has worked against me. ("sorry, we need someone to start now")

A very good friend and former boss -- a VP of Engineering type --
says "never tell 'em anything until they give you the job". I'd
include hobbies in that warning.

MTC, YMMV, HTH
-Sue Gallagher
sgallagher -at- akonix -dot- com