RE: AVI files in Winhelp

Subject: RE: AVI files in Winhelp
From: "David Demyan" <dbdemyan -at- worldnet -dot- att -dot- net>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Wed, 3 Oct 2001 15:43:02 -0400

Michelle asked:
>>Is it a good idea to place buttons in help topics to trigger
>>off AVI files ?

I think it is a good idea if you have something relevant to
to show. The best example is a procedure topic that has
steps in it to explain how to use a menu/dialog, for example.
A "Show Me..." button somewhere near the steps that kicks off
a short video that shows how to perform the steps would be
helpful for those who can remember tasks visually.

>>What problems may be encountered if I do ?

Some potential problems: large AVI file size (which you can
strive to limit) and making sure the right video codec is
used (choose one that is already resident on the PCs
you'll be shipping to).

>>How do other people include multimedia materal in their help
>>files ?

I believe multimedia should be used sparingly in help.
After all, the goal is to provide help, not to dazzle the
user. Multimedia, per se, can imply a lot of "flash" and
thunder, most of which does not enhance the help experience.
The "Show Me..." video is one of the only exceptions I can
think of.

Dave Demyan
Mendem Concord, Inc.
http://www.mendem.com