RE: Don't you love farce? - The Solution

Subject: RE: Don't you love farce? - The Solution
From: "Ronald E. Jones" <rej -at- gte -dot- net>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Tue, 2 Oct 2001 08:22:27 -0500

Ellen Vanrenen wrote:

The people at the Kinko's here had no idea what Frame is. They have a
proprietary format housed in software they requested I use to convert my doc
to their version of a PDF. They then print from that file.

My guide turned out blurry, and the screenshots had no uniform size or
degree of clarity.

Ellen

Your experience with a local copy shop is pretty normal. Sorry, but you should not assume that high-end work using Frame can be handled by everyone.

We specialize in Frame and pdf documents - whatever works best to produce high quality documentation. Frankly, we do not care what software is used to produce the document. We offer both publishing services (full document management and production) and reproduction services (we use your documents and produce as needed). Our company has provided customized documentation to companies, agencies, academia, etc. since 1989. It simply does not matter to us what components go into a final piece that you need. You've probably heard of "on demand" - well, we believe we invented the on-demand "business." Now we didn't dream up that name (on demand) but created the concept of totally custom documents, when you need them and where you need them.

Here's an example of different components... we do the training materials for Peterbilt (they make the big trucks) and some of these result in big binders where we have produced various "normal" (8.5 x 11) Frame files as required for the document, then produced 30 or so 11 x 17 folded schematics, have all this interspersed with custom printed tabs, and finally added preprinted booklets (provided by Peterbilt vendors). We produce everything we can, store the other materials, put it together as needed, and drop ship small quantities to training sites around the nation.

We house and produce approximately 400 titles of internal training materials for Microsoft. These are for the largest of their three training sites in this country plus all their international sites. This material is updated constantly. Yes, Microsoft uses all MS Word files.

If you need a "test" run of documents, we do that. For example, assume you create a new document, wouldn't it be nice to have 20 run and bound (fully finished, fully designed, looking exactly like the final product) and send these out for "testing?" What a concept? Then when minor problems are found, they are fixed.

We can update your material as often as you want! It has always seemed silly to me that a company would sell me a piece of recently updated software and an old manual. There's no outdated material, period, unless you require it.

Since we produce on demand, there's no document storage. We never run any "extra" documents. There's no warehouse here and it's seems ludicrous to ship a giant wad of paper across the country just so you can store it on site - unless, of course, you need to fill up warehouse space. We have eliminated document obsolescence. No document storage and no documents to throw away later. But, you say, how long does it take to get a reorder? It's fast, very fast. We haven't seen your document so we cannot estimate the time, yet. However, after 12 years, we have never been late with an order! That's a powerful statement. We are not going to be late with yours.

Plus, we do all of this in super quality black-and-white and full, killer quality, 4-color! Yes, this applies to any number of documents, even one.

Plus, we offer plastic coil binding, perfect binding, 3-ring binding, or just about anything else you need.

Plus, we also offer this same service (on demand) with CDs - yes, any quantity.

OK, here's the unusual information (everything above was pretty normal to us). We do not bid against your local printer. Sorry, but that's the way it is. One reason is that your local printer cannot do what we can do so we're bidding apples and they are bidding kumquats.

The other thing we cannot do is give you a "ballpark" based on a phone call. Our crystal ball is not that good!

Ellen, our company is RonJon Publishing. We are located in Denton, Texas. We will be happy to discuss your special project of customized documentation with you, your supervisor, or anyone else. Just give us a call to start this process. If it works for both of us, great. If not, that's OK, too.

Visit our website but know that it's a mess and has been for several months. We are working on it!

Thanks for reading this far.

Ron Jones
Dr. Ronald E. Jones, President
RonJon Publishing, Inc.
1001 S. Mayhill Rd., Denton, TX 76208
Free 800-262-3060 Ph 940-383-3060 Fax 940-387-0505
Personal E-mail - rjones -at- ronjonpublishing -dot- com
Company E-mail - ronjon -at- ronjonpublishing -dot- com
Web Site - http://www.ronjonpublishing.com

October 3 and get a substantial discount! Program information, online registration, and more on http://ieeepcs.org/2001/