RE: STC Competition Question

Subject: RE: STC Competition Question
From: "Brierley, Sean" <Sean -at- Quodata -dot- Com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Mon, 1 Oct 2001 15:13:04 -0400

A separate category is a thought, but some PDFs are designed for only print,
such as CMYK separations for offset press, other PDFs are designed only for
online reading, etc. In other words, I think having a books category in the
online competition makes sense for PDFs.

As an aside, my boss told me to submit some work this year, and it comprises
PDF and CHM for software. Now, you might argue about how much PDFs suck, but
consider that I can distribute my PDF by CD and customers can download
updated PDF documents as needed from a Web site. Moreover, customers can
print page ranges, carry the documentation with them on their laptop, rather
than a large, bound wad of paper, etc. Anyway, I'm a tad scared about my
entry now . . . maybe I shoulda printed it off and submitted it on a roll of
toilet paper instead :?) <vbg>

And, your point about the wide use of PDFs is well made . . . I don't see
how anyone can argue it is not an online medium (and a very popular one at
that). I suppose I wish folks would consider a difference between PDF being
an online medium and some PDF designs failing to meet the needs of an online
audience. Those failures--some of which are not failures because the other
option was not to have the documents available at all--should not reflect
the purpose and capabilities of the PDF format, in the STC's eyes or anyone
else's.

With grins,

Sean
sean -at- quodata -dot- com