RE: STC Competition Question

Subject: RE: STC Competition Question
From: "Lydia Wong" <lydiaw -at- fpoint -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Fri, 28 Sep 2001 17:27:25 -0400

Roger asked:

<snip>

I am preparing some entries for our local STC competition. Two of my
entries are manuals in PDF format that our company provides to customers on
a software CD. The manuals are primarily for the customer to print and use
as physical copy. Although there are hyperlinks, and customers could use
them online.

I can't decide the appropriate category for entry. Last year, I had a
similar entry and entered it in the Online Competition as a Book. Although
it won an award, one judge criticized me for entering in that category.

Anyone else have a similar story?
</snip>

We had the same problem with a white paper we'd produced. We were very proud
of it and wanted to enter it, but weren't sure which category it would go
under. In the end, we entered it in the technical publications competition
under the category it would go under if it were given out as a printed item.
We printed the paper, and handed it in to the competition in a nice
binder/folder. Then in our entry form, we explained that we produced it with
the idea that people would print it, but provided it as a PDF through our
web site.

The entry won an award, and in addition, judges' comments surprisingly
praised this as a good means of production and distribution. (We were sure
we'd get some criticism, since some folks don't like PDFs.)

HTH,

Lydia
Lydia Wong
Technical Writer