RE: Need book about Word longdoc techniques

Subject: RE: Need book about Word longdoc techniques
From: Sharon Key <sharon -at- dra -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Fri, 28 Sep 2001 13:25:35 -0500

I must agree with Andrew. I have used Word for long docs for at least five
years and once I abandoned the Master Doc feature, I've had few problems.

Here are the rules I follow:

I use fairly simple templates that contain about 30-40 styles. I don't use
many macros because I've never mastered their creation.

I routinely have manuals that run 15-20 chapters. I generally create a
separate .doc for each chapter and then create a TOC and index in a separate
file using RD fields.

I DO link my graphics and have had few problems.

As far as Frame goes, I'm sure it is a wonderful and powerful tool...many of
you probably use it to bake bread also. However, my company uses Word and
will probably continue to use Word. And as long as they continue to pay my
salary, I'll continue to use the tools I'm given. I fight the fights I can
win.

Just my $.02 late on a Friday afternoon.

Sharon Key
St. Louis, MO

online registration, and more on http://ieeepcs.org/2001/