Re: html editor --> cleanest html

Subject: Re: html editor --> cleanest html
From: Sharyn Mathews <editor -at- neca -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Wed, 05 Sep 2001 17:34:38 -0400

At 02:27 PM 9/5/01 -0700, Meg wrote:

Hi Whirlers --

One of my bosses just stopped by and asked me if I need to buy
anything to help with my work. Once I picked my jaw up from the
floor, I got to thinking that, among other things, I'd sure like
to use a WYSWYG HTML editor that yields clean, plain-vanilla
HTML 4. In the past mgt has stuck by the idea that Netscape
Composer which we already have should be adequate. However, I
found the resulting HTML to be a mess, and have ended up
skipping Composer and doing a good bit of the work in Notepad.
I'm getting tired of this.

What would you recommend? I'm doing the work on a PC running NT
4, but the pages will run mostly in Netscape 4 on a variety of
OSs on standalone machines. (And I did search the archives
before posting this question.)

Meg (and any others who are searching),

I use a FREE (and very wonderful) package called 1st Page 2000, and it's available from evrsoft.com as a download. It is well documented, doesn't needlessly complicate my projects, and has a quick and easy learning curve. I've been using it for everything from dynamic HTML to CGI scripts (it comes pre-loaded with a number of scripts and templates), and I have been pleased with the results.

I don't get anything from this "endorsement" -- I'm just passing along something that works!

Good luck.

Sharyn
(a refugee from FrontPage)

A landmark hotel, one of America's most beautiful cities, and three and a half days of immersion in the state of the art: