Subject: Summary: Evaluating Online Help Follow-up
From: "Pesach, Debra" <DPesach -at- hq -dot- row -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Fri, 28 Sep 2001 11:13:35 -0400

Cross-posted: HATT, Techshoret, Techwr-l

Greetings again,

I have completed my presentation to the powers that be. To avoid wasting
cyberspace molecules (it's a 6-page Word doc), please contact me offline if
you'd like a copy of my presentation comparing three online help tools:
RoboHelp, Doc-to-Help, and ForeHelp.

A few disclaimers and comments:
* This document was prepared for a specific purpose--your mileage may vary.
* I really knew what tool I wanted before I wrote the presentation (OK, I
admit this is a piece of biased research). Despite this, I still think that
the information provided in the presentation is accurate.
* The sacred principle of technical writing, "Know Your Audience," can be
expanded to "Know Your Employer." Know not only your clients' needs but also
the needs of the ones footing the bill for a new help tool. Gear your
summary to the check writers and you'll have a better chance of getting the
tool you want.
*Spare me the flames if you disagree, but I think that if you have
FrameMaker and the money, it seems worthwhile to invest in WebWorks
Publisher. Otherwise (and this applies to most of us, I think) please go
with ForeHelp. It is the cheapest of the available "major league" tools, has
great support and upgrade policies, has unlimited FREE user support, and is
very easy to learn (IMHO).
*Way beyond the tool you choose, you have to know what help system type you
should deliver, for what platform(s) you need to develop help, immediate
future goals (i.e. some companies have one platform but plan to expand their
software onto other platforms), and what is the "good enough" level of help
that your company expects from you (a necessary reality check for those of
us always striving to develop the perfect documentation).

~Debbie

Debbie Panitz-Pesach
Sr. Technical Writer
Tel: (301) 294-5748
Fax: (301) 294-5404
dpesach -at- hq -dot- row -dot- com

Logicon/ROW Sciences
Systems & Applied Sciences--Systems Engineering Division

online registration, and more on http://ieeepcs.org/2001/