RE: emergency -- Word problem regarding "nesting too deeply"

Subject: RE: emergency -- Word problem regarding "nesting too deeply"
From: "Cekis, Margaret" <Margaret -at- mediaocean -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Thu, 27 Sep 2001 11:15:46 -0400

Kim McGarghan described her "Word problem regarding "nesting too deeply"
with 7-Meg chapters.

Jpegs are smaller than bitmaps, but not by much. I worked on a monster set
of documents for a legacy inventory system at Lucent Technologies right
after it split with AT&T. Because the screens were simple telnet-type
screens, there was no reason for monster bitmaps.

We started with the usual Windows <Ctrl> <Alt> <Prnt Scn> images from a
terminal emulator on a Windows PC. Then we used Corel Capture to strip out
just the relevant screen image without the emulator menus, etc., and pasted
it into and Corel PhotoPaint. In PhotoPaint, we reversed the image (from
color on a black background, to the inverse on a white background, then
converted the image to blacy&white, increased the contrast to make the words
clearer, then converted it to a line drawing. PhotoShop and other
image-manipulation packages do the same things.) The result: the screen
images were reduced to 1K or less each. Once I got the hang of it, it took
me less that 5 minutes a screen from initial print screen to pasting in the
line drawing.

This doesn't solve your nesting problem, but it could reduce your document
size a great deal.

Margaret Cekis
Margaret -at- mediaocean -dot- com
Atlanta GA