RE: Need guru to help with something on the ASP-VBscript-MS Acces s axis

Subject: RE: Need guru to help with something on the ASP-VBscript-MS Acces s axis
From: "Cekis, Margaret" <Margaret -at- mediaocean -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Thu, 27 Sep 2001 10:33:59 -0400

Dick Margulis asked for a "guru to help with something on the
ASP-VBscript-MS Access
axis".

Over the years I'me done a lot of documentation for database applications of
various kinds, and although the newer database products are more flexible
about formats and input that the old mainframe apps were, they all still
seem to abhor spaces within a field.

Spaces, commas, and sometimes slashes are taken to be default field
delimiters in data strings. Also, all fields either have to be defined to
default to zero, or data entries must never skip a field, which results in
data being entered in the wrong field (and probably in the wrong format,
such as a name in a number field, etc.)

Almost all user instructions I've written for database data entry have had
an explanation of the convention of putting an underscore (_) character
betweens the words in a name or other words in a field. Dick's name would
have to be entered as Dick_Margulis to be acceptable.

Margaret Cekis
Margaret -at- mediaocean -dot- com
Atlanta GA

online registration, and more on http://ieeepcs.org/2001/