RE: Release Notes

Subject: RE: Release Notes
From: Chris Gooch <chris -dot- gooch -at- lightworkdesign -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Tue, 25 Sep 2001 11:03:00 +0100

Gavin wrote:

+++
I have a project manager insisting that I must include
details of new functionality which doesn't exist
+++

Gavin -

There may be situations where this is appropriate. As
someone else has pointed out, if marketing has pushed
some functionality, but it's not ready in this release,
it may be worth stating the fact explicitly ("what this
release is" / "what this release is not") so as not to
cause confusion.

Also, there are some situations where customers
may need to be `primed' well in advance - for example
if you sell an API then your customers may well need
to bear in mind what the so far unreleased functionality
will be like so as not to preclude its future use, by,
for example, using some resource which you know they
will have to leave available for the future functionality.
In such a case it is important to forewarn the customer
so they don't paint themselves in to a corner and struggle
when you actually do release the thing.

HTH
Chris.

Christopher Gooch, Technical Author,
LightWork Design, Sheffield, UK.
chris -dot- gooch -at- lightworkdesign -dot- com
www.lightworkdesign.com