Re: Customers who read manuals from cover to cover

Subject: Re: Customers who read manuals from cover to cover
From: Chris Gooch <Chris -at- lightwork -dot- co -dot- uk>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Fri, 7 Sep 2001 16:14:55 +0100

Warren wrote:

++++

The tendency in our company was to undermine the value of documentation,
by claiming that "nobody ever reads them anyway." All this changed when a
high-level delegation, led by our CEO went to visit an important customer
in Japan, and found out that they have a team of engineers, who sit with
marking pens and go through every word in the manuals, underlining parts
they don't understand or which aren't clear. If they find a single mistake
or inaccuracy in the documentation, then this apparently undermines their
entire faith in the manuals and the value of the product.

++++

Warren -

I can confirm that we have had this experience with Japanese customers - it
is
a cultural thing I think. Definitely something to be aware of if you deal
with
Japan.

Of course, it should not be assumed that all Japanese people / companies
are culturally identical... but it doesn't hurt to understand that there
often
are such differences between the "western" and "japanese" ways of doing
things.

cheers,

Christopher Gooch, Technical Author
LightWork Design Ltd, Sheffield, England.
chris -at- lightwork -dot- co -dot- uk www.lightwork.com