Re: Building a web site for documentation

Subject: Re: Building a web site for documentation
From: "Kane, Beth" <Beth -dot- Kane -at- ncslearn -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Mon, 24 Sep 2001 12:38:08 -0500

We are in a similar situation! We were handed a 400-page FrameMaker-based
workbook, which is used in classes. We are to write a proposal to convert it
to a Web site. The main reason: they say the workbook costs us $750K a year
to print and distribute (yes, we have a LOT of customers). Our experienced
Web producer figures the Web version will cost $15,000 maximum to create.

When the cost differential is that high, it overrides any other options that
customers might think they'd prefer. It's a no-brainer -- we really need to
do this, while being careful to make it highly usable. We think the
customers will get used to it, and enjoy using the Web site. (Note: rather
than calling it a Web site, as someone pointed out, perhaps it is
technically an intranet, as it will have password access.)

But this plan does NOT involve converting Frame to HTML. Here's the plan:

We copy the text and paste it into DreamWeaver, then reformat it for
usability in a browser. All graphics (and there are many) will be reduced in
size, with an option to expand each one. ("Click to expand," or somesuch.)
Shrinking the graphics saves loading time for users.

The Web site will have clickable (is that a word? ;-f ) navigational
matter in the left frame: Headers (formerly chapters), which you can roll
over or click to expand, to show all the subsection titles. This replaces
the table of contents. Also, an overall Search function will be included so
users can quickly find any part of the "workbook" they want. There will be
no other type of index.

Our Web producer will design the site, and we will hire a contractor to
copy, paste and format the text, and deal with all the graphics. I expect
that when the contractor completes the first section, we will check it for
usability and decide on any design changes before he goes further.

Beth Kane
Tech Writer
NCS Learn's Technical Services Org.
www.ncslearn.com