RE: minimalist manuals

Subject: RE: minimalist manuals
From: "Kane, Beth" <Beth -dot- Kane -at- ncslearn -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Mon, 17 Sep 2001 15:41:39 -0500

Pardon me if someone already mentioned this, but another way to search for
this topic in the archives (or anywhere on the Web) would be under
"downsizing" documentation. That was a popular term for quite a while. Years
ago, I attended one of J.Hackos' workshops on downsizing your docs.

I'm a strong believer in keeping the main docs as minimal as possible, while
providing links or cross-refs to further details in other places. The
details should be available, but they should not obscure the main points! I
think this technique accommodates all readers' problems and learning styles.

One problem with all-in-one, oversized docs is the mere sight of them can
intimidate readers into running to the phone rather than trying to find
their own solutions.

The first, breakthrough minimal doc I observed was back in 1995 -- the
instruction manual for Windows 95. It was so tiny and was such a departure
from previous docs that it made everybody hopping mad! But the full story
was available in the Win95 online help. Since '95, people have gradually
been getting used to minimal docs that point you to other sources.
(Disclaimer: I am not saying that Win95 booklet was a GOOD manual; just that
it was a noticeable departure from the norm.)

Beth Kane
TW, NCS Learn's Technical Services Org.
beth -dot- kane -at- ncslearn -dot- com