RE: Building a web site for documentation

Subject: RE: Building a web site for documentation
From: "Michele Marques" <marquesm -at- autros -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Fri, 21 Sep 2001 10:03:06 -0400

Bonita White asks:
> [...] I would like to put together a proposal for creating a web
> site for the documentation. [...]
> What all am I missing? Is this even a good idea? Have any of
> you done this successfully? [...]

There are a number of ways to put your documentation on your web site, but
before you examine the logistics, you have to put forward a case of *why*
you want the documentation on the web site ... and to examine both pros and
cons.

Some questions to consider are:

* Does this benefit the customer?
* Do they already have the documentation on paper and/or electronically?
* Would a CD of PDFs and an electronic index serve them better?
* Would a "web site" on a CD serve them better?
* In other words, what would the customer get out of this being on the web?

* Would having documentation on the web help prospects?
* Do you provide a demo for download without documentation?
* Do you need to provide all documentation on the web, or would excerpts be
enough?
* Is an HTML web site the best approach, or would PDFs (so they can print
their own
manuals) serve them better?

* Do you care if your competition has full access to your current manuals?

If you determine that putting documentation on the web is the answer, then
you can start to look at logistics.

If you determine that PDFs are appropriate, then you should probably also
consider whether you want to have PDFs optimized for viewing on the web
(i.e., not just with the print layout) or whether you want PDFs optimized
for customers to download and print.

If you determine that an HTML web site (either on the web or on CD) is
appropriate, there are a number of options for you to consider. You don't
mention which version of FrameMaker you are using. But the options are
basically: "save as HTML" and then re-work in a web site editor (e.g.,
FrontPage, DreamWeaver), or use the full version of Web Works Publisher to
convert your manual to a web site, and possibly use a web site editor to
build the framework of your site (e.g., a page listing manuals and
describing how to use them) and/or do further touch-up.

Whatever method you choose, you will want to make sure that the web site is
not just long scrolling manuals, that it is an experience that makes sense
on the web. Otherwise, you might as well give them PDFs or forget the whole
exercise.

Also, if it is important to maintain current documentation on the web, you
will want to make sure that the method you choose is easy to maintain in the
future. For example, you might find it hard to set up WWP macros or a
Dreamweaver template that would help automate this process, but it might be
worthwhile to overcome this difficulty if you will have frequent update - or
will need a quick turn-around on updates in the future.

Michele Marques, Technical Writer
AUTROS Healthcare Solutions, Inc.
marquesm -at- autros -dot- com <mailto:marquesm -at- autros -dot- com>

This material is intended for the use of the individual
to whom it is addressed and may contain information that
is privileged, proprietary, confidential and exempt from
disclosure. If you are not the intended recipient or the
person responsible for delivering the material to the
intended recipient, you are notified that dissemination,
distribution or copying of this communication is strictly
prohibited.
please contact the sender immediately via e-mail and destroy this message
accordingly.