RE: Images in help systems

Subject: RE: Images in help systems
From: Tara English-Sweeney <tesweeney -at- novadigm -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Tue, 18 Sep 2001 08:25:39 -0400

Hi Darren. I think it all depends on how the help is being used.

However, in most cases, I tend to shy away from using too many images in
help systems. My feeling is that someone using help is probably working with
the software and looking for an answer to a problem. So, they don't need a
screen shot because they're looking at the real thing.

JMHO.
Thanks,
Tara

Darren Barefoot wrote:
As I understand it, the rule of thumb when authoring help systems is that
the average help system should contain less images than its corresponding
printed (or printable) manual. I suspect this
rule exists because:

* For installation purposes, the smaller the help system the better, and
images tend to bloat help systems.
* If there are lots of screenshots in the help system, the user may become
confused as to which is the application and try to click in the help system.

Are there other reasons for this rule? How many of you actually abide by it?
If so, what criteria do you apply when selecting screenshots for the help
system?