RE: You've Been Glurged (Sinclair and Include the world)

Subject: RE: You've Been Glurged (Sinclair and Include the world)
From: kelley <kwalker2 -at- gte -dot- net>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Thu, 13 Sep 2001 17:47:03 -0400

Please don't flame me offlist again. If you have something to say, say it onlist. If you think it inappropriate on the list, it is inappropriate in my inbox.

If you had bothered to read my analysis, you'd see that I was referencing the misleading prefatory comments and that I did direct you to the fact that it has been broadcast-- in 1973. That it has resurfaced recently is not because it has been published recently, as the email claimed. It was also claimed, in order to legitimate its authority and officialness and dupe people, that it was entered into the Congressional Record. It has not been entered into the CR any time recently. It's a warm fuzzy that is circulating the 'net and it has been fanning the flames of resentment, arrogance, and anger. IT's not a good time for that. Finally, it was originally entitle, "The Americans". One would think that the original title should be left intact, that a good technical writer would source the author and the publication date. None of that happened here and it is typical of glurges, which is a form of an Internet hoax or urban legend--which usually have a kernel of truth but have been embellished or added to in order to play onpeople's emotion. I sure does that.

America: The Good Neighbor.
http://urbanlegends.miningco.com/library/blamericans.htm

"Aside from the fact that this text was written 28 years
ago and suffered minor revisions during its travels in cyberspace,
it is authentic. Journalist and radio personality Gordon Sinclair
delivered the commentary on his Toronto show in 1973, when
anti-American sentiment was at one of its all-time highs.
For obvious reasons, Americans ate it up.
The piece has circulated on the Internet ? sometimes attributed
to Sinclair and sometimes not (but always to "a Canadian")
? for several years. Its suddenly renewed popularity in
September 2001 can be attributed to the recent terrorist
attacks on U.S. soil. Americans,smarting from the implicit
hatred behind these acts, have found solace in these
sincere words of appreciation from a geographical neighbor.
They were not, however, authored "recently," as most currently
circulating versions claim."