Re: Contractor Rates

Subject: Re: Contractor Rates
From: Bruce Byfield <bbyfield -at- axionet -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Wed, 05 Sep 2001 14:32:53 -0700

Antonio Fante wrote:

> I'm have two years experience as a tech writer in the Vancouver, BC area.
> This experience largely comes from a permanent position. I'd appreciate any
> suggestions as to how much this market would bear in terms of rates.
> Specifically, I'm interested in how much I might be able to charge on an
> hourly basis.

In general, the Vancouver market varies from $20-60 per hour. You'll find
employers happy to pay you less than $20 (including at least one STC maven who
tells you never to go below $20), but, even as a beginner, I think you'd be
justified in finding anything lower insulting. At the higher end, you'll need
either specialized knowledge and/or an ability to manage projects and other
writers to get the rate. The exact rate you can get depends on the job, your
skills, and your negotiating abilities, but, with two years' experience, you
should manage $30. A year ago, you might have managed $35-40, but rates have
declined with the high-tech collapse. The good news is that there is still no
shortage of work in Vancouver if you know where to look for it.