Re: To utilize or not to utilize

Subject: Re: To utilize or not to utilize
From: Annamaria Profit <inteltek2 -at- earthlink -dot- net>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Tue, 04 Sep 2001 15:18:38 -0400

John,

Your point makes sense in your industry. Mine is healthcare, and the uses are generally human. But corp-speak has dropped "use" in every instance for "utilize". "Utilize" and "assure" are the two most overused verbs in any/all of their texts. They don't "provide quality healthcare", they "assure the provision of quality healthcare"... ; / I think they secretly believe it gives them the illusion of plausible deniability when they don't... <eg> Every time I see it, I think of Derrida, and his chain of representations, diluted beyond all content... Advertising isn't the only place where they prefer convoluted form over content. ; )

At 11:41 AM 9/4/01 -0700, John Posada wrote:

--- Annamaria Profit <inteltek2 -at- earthlink -dot- net> wrote:
> "Utilize" drives me crazy. What is it with corp types that they
> just can't use direct language? I usually go through and do a
> universal find and replace.

Annamaria....hate to do this to you, but "Bandwidth Utilization" and
"Bandwidth Use" could mean different things in some fields.

Some see the phrase "Bandwidth Use" meaning "having to do with using
the bandwith". OTOH, "Bandwidth Utilization" tell me in no uncertain
terms that what I'm going to be told is "how MUCH of the bandwidth is
being used."

Annamaria Profit
CI Services: Business Communications for the Next Millennium
E-mail: inteltek2 -at- earthlink -dot- net

A landmark hotel, one of America's most beautiful cities, and three and a half days of immersion in the state of the art: