Re: Diverse Tools (was HTML editors)

Subject: Re: Diverse Tools (was HTML editors)
From: kcronin -at- daleen -dot- com
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Tue, 4 Sep 2001 09:42:41 -0600

Simon says:

> Very few WYSIWYG editors produce "perfectly fine" HTML,
> although I've never met that definition of the code. Most produce
> spaghetti garbage code that makes reuse almost impossible.

and

> Microsoft's tools are some of the WORST offenders. Front Page
> will even corrupt known good code to do things the way it thinks
> best. Microsoft Word's HTML output is appalling.

Keith's comment:

The number of Internet META tags that indicate the use of FrontPage (even
on commercial sites) would seem to argue to the contrary, in terms of your
opinion of its usefulness...
While I am NOT a fan of FP, if you peruse the want ads for web-related
jobs, many (if not MOST) of them require you to know FP as well as HTML.
When in Rome....

Simon also says:

> ...HTML will never be more than a dead-end
> publishing format...

Gosh, we better spread the word - the entire Internet is a dead end! Glad
I got the scoop early!
HTML ain't perfect. But c'mon, you can't say that it doesn't work at all,
can you? Can 50 million web pages be wrong?

-Keith Cronin