Re: Word 2000 to PDF problems Redux

Subject: Re: Word 2000 to PDF problems Redux
From: dmbrown -at- brown-inc -dot- com
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Thu, 30 Aug 2001 19:44:45 -0700

"Karen E. Black" wrote:

> ...the PDFMaker job failed after creating tags; yes, it just
> hangs, and Task Manager says the program is not responding.

Been there. :( Try this trick...

As soon as PDFMaker minimizes your Word document (reduces it to a tiny title bar with the
underscore, box, and X buttons at the right end), maximize it again. (You can click on
the box button or double-click on the title bar itself.)

That way, you can watch as it processes your file and see exactly where it hangs.

Every time we've seen PDFMaker hang in one of our clients' documents, it's been at a
point where there's some problem with the file. MS Office clip art and overly complex
tables are common process killers.

Seeing *where* the problem occurs is the first step in identifying and fixing the
problem.

Good luck!

--David

David M. Brown - Brown Inc.
dmbrown -at- brown-inc -dot- com

A V A I L A B L E N O W ! http://www.html-indexer.com/

HTML Indexer 3, still the easiest way to create and maintain real
back-of-the-book indexes for web sites and other HTML documents.

Now including options for HTML Help and JavaHelp indexes, too!