Re: Word 2000 to PDF problems Redux

Subject: Re: Word 2000 to PDF problems Redux
From: "Karen E. Black" <kblack_text -at- hotmail -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Thu, 30 Aug 2001 15:49:20 -0400

Here is what the Adobe site says about my problem:

"Acrobat PDFMaker can convert Word documents using either Acrobat PDFWriter or Acrobat Distiller. When using Acrobat PDFWriter, Acrobat PDFMaker cannot create bookmarks and other dynamic features. When using Acrobat Distiller, Acrobat PDFMaker will query Word for certain formatting features, such as heading styles, and convert them to Acrobat features." I am encouraged by this last sentence.

What's really annoying me is that, the first time I used PDFMaker on this document, the PDF file HAD bookmarks. When I looked it over, I saw that some table headings were badly formatted, so I changed the original Word doc and re-PDFed. Now the PDFMaker job failed after creating tags; yes, it just hangs, and Task Manager says the program is not responding.

I want bookmarks, dagnabbit!

So I use the Magic Word Solution to Every Problem, which is to copy everything but the last paragraph mark out of the original document, paste it into a new doc, and re-format it. I run PDFMaker from Word and there we are, a fine PDF with bookmarks. But again I see that the process has screwed up my formatting, so I correct in original, re-PDF, it hangs after tags, and I go and have another smoke. Note, I do NOT change the printer setting to Distiller.

Rule #1: Do not try to PDF using PDFMaker and Word 2000 more than once on the same document.
Rule #2: See Rule #1.

Regards,
Karen

From: "Karen E. Black" <kblack_text -at- hotmail -dot- com>
I am using Word 2000 and Acrobat 5.0, and when I try to create a PDF using
the Adobe toolbar on Word, the job fails.

If I use File | Print to the Acrobat Distiller printer (without checking
Print to file), I get a nice little PDF with no bookmarks (I want
bookmarks).

If I check Print to file, I get the Save dialog asking for *.prn instead of
*.ps. Outside of FrameMaker I've never saved a Postscript file before -- how
do you do it in Word??

A landmark hotel, one of America's most beautiful cities, and three and a half days of immersion in the state of the art: