WWP drawbacks (was: Word to HTML?)

Subject: WWP drawbacks (was: Word to HTML?)
From: David Castro <thetechwriter -at- yahoo -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Wed, 29 Aug 2001 03:17:42 -0700 (PDT)

Bill Swallow said:

> There are none. *vbg* Well, there *should be* none. I think the biggest
> drawback to WWP is that it requires your writers to actually pay attention
> to the damn templates and their proper use.

While I have only used WWP a little bit, I have to agree with Bill. I found no
drawbacks to the product. Well, their training CD (the one they charge $100
for) is a total piece of *% -at- !, but even their documentation is really good.
And, while I haven't started reading my copy, I've heard that Scriptorium's
WebWorks Publisher Cookbook is really good. (I *did* use it to solve one
problem...I found exactly the problem that I was looking to solve in the index,
and went right to the page that told me how to solve it.)

I had been expecting to spend a lot of time creating the conversion templates,
but it actually took me only a couple of days. I am now able to take any of our
manuals and output HTML-based help in a matter of minutes.

My text task is to add JSP to the HTML output through FrameMaker pass-through
markers. Wish me luck!

-David Castro
email -at- davidcastro -dot- com
http://www.davidcastro.com