Re: User's guide for Web applications?

Subject: Re: User's guide for Web applications?
From: Tara English-Sweeney <tesweeney -at- novadigm -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Tue, 28 Aug 2001 11:16:13 -0400

Hi Laura.

This discussion is very interesting and quite timely. I am currently
documenting a new Web-based application and it's still kind of up in the air
as to how the doc will be delivered. Right now, I have been told to proceed
as we usually do.

We have some other Web-based apps, with limited documentation. Historically,
our company has created printed books that are delivered with the software
(not Web-based). The same material is then made available to our customers
via HTML and PDF on our Web site. I would love to see this change -
especially with this latest project.

In general, I think that users should be able to access targeted (embedded)
information, as well as detailed information, from within a Web-based
product. I also think users should have the option to print information.

So, FWIW here are my thoughts on your questions:
* I would try to contain all information in one source, if possible.
But, this really varies based on your product, audience, and so many other
things...I don't think users should have to bounce around from source to
source to get the information they need.
* Are you suggesting no step-by-step information? It's hard to say
without knowing the details of your situation, but I would reconsider that
decision.
* Regarding how often we update the PDFs - not enough but that's for
many reasons - including a small staff and a lot of information/products
that changes all the time. Again, it's hard to say not knowing the
specifics. Would once a quarter be enough? How often does the product
change? In the beginning, you may need to do more updates as you iron out
the documentation.
* Yes, we include screen shots, and it adds to the things that need to
maintained in the doc. But, users seem to find them helpful, and if we're
updating the doc anyway...

Good luck to you.
Tara

Tara English-Sweeney