RE: Respect

Subject: RE: Respect
From: Sean MacRae <sean -at- rcp -dot- co -dot- uk>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Tue, 28 Aug 2001 10:17:45 +0100

Yes, I agree; you're unlikely to buy a product just because of the
documentation; and you're also correct about the *end-users'* aversion to
reading documentation.

I guess my point is that "the product" is the whole package -- as much as
the code, the UI, the installation routine, etc. A weakness in any of these
is a weakness in the product, but each customer will have their own
priorities. An error in the documentation is unlikely to, but may, render
the system inoperable; an error in the code is more likely to render the
system inoperable (in software, my area of expertise, such as it is).

Too many managers don't consider documentation as part of the product; just
as an afterthought. As part of the product, it should develop with the rest
of the product, with appropriate priority.

A difference between software and cars is in the complexity of the tasks you
carry out and the UI you need to use them. I think almost every country has
mandatory testing to ensure you can use the car's UI to carry out the core
tasks; and all cars stick to similar UIs for those tasks (automatic and
stick-shift aside).

You can still be thrown, 'though. I spent 6 months working in New Hampshire,
and was stumped when trying to work out where the parking brake was on a
hire car. In the UK, this is called a "handbrake" for good reason; that's
how you always operate it, and you always find it to hand. Took me a good
read of the manual to spot the change in terminology and to find out you
operated it by foot!

The French have had some inventive designs for gear levers, too.