RE: Lone Technical Writer

Subject: RE: Lone Technical Writer
From: "SM Rush" <sellar -at- apptechsys -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Fri, 24 Aug 2001 12:25:23 -0700

All previous posts have been great. Jim Shaeffer's top o' the head remarks
are right on.

I would also emphasize sticking close to your manager, getting them to set
priorities and sign off on deadlines, etc. It's not a case of CYA, it's a
case of them inevitably knowing more about the company's/client's priorities
than you do. For one thing, you're probably way too busy now to stay in
close touch with everyone. Also, in many cases, it's probably the manager's
job to make sure your work meshes with other efforts.

This is not as easy as it sounds. In my case, my managers would love it if
I just did my little work and not bothered them unless there's a crisis.
I've commented that I wanted more direction re scheduling and . They always
agree, but it rarely happens. I have to ask for it specifically every time.
After a while, though, you sort of get into a rhythm.

sella rush
applied technical systems
silverdale, wa
developers of CCM knowledge discovery