Lone Technical Writer

Subject: Lone Technical Writer
From: Virginia Kathleen Eaton <soccer -at- bonzai -dot- net>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Thu, 23 Aug 2001 23:06:54 -0400

I need a little advice.

Due to layoffs over the past year, I am now the sole technical writing for my
consulting firm with less than 20 people on staff. There hasn't been a Technical
Publications Director for several months. It hadn't been a huge problem because
there were two technical writers left and we always discussed approaches and
ideas before reaching a consensus about a course of action. Now that I am the
"one and only" responsible for all QA and technical writing for all the company
projects, I am feeling a little overwelmed. Its not the type or the size the
workload that worries me, its the responsibility. While the company's financial
situation should improve in the next few months, there doesn't seem to be any
hope for hiring another technical writer.

How many of you have been in a similar situation? What have you done to help
make the transition smoother? What things have you done to keep multiple
projects with multiple needs running smoothly? What pitfalls await me?

Thanks.

Ginny