RE: Tool to download a whole web site?

Subject: RE: Tool to download a whole web site?
From: "Gordon Graham" <gordon -at- gordonandgordon -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Fri, 24 Aug 2001 10:07:06 -0400

David Castro asked:
I would like to know if any of you know of a tool that will parse through a
web site, downloading all of the files to a location on my hard drive.

---

After checking out this genre (most often called "offline browsing") I
picked the shareware program WebCopier, and have used it very happily. It
seems more intelligent and easier to use than the browsers' built in
functions.

Here is a brief blurb:
WebCopier is an offline browser that downloads Web sites and stores them
locally on your hard drive. It gives you instant access to critical Web
sites at any time, regardless of where you are. WebCopier performs precise
link searching, including JavaScript parsing, and can download up to 100
files simultaneously. WebCopier offers support for proxy servers and allows
you to specify an account name and password to access secure Web sites. It
also lets you schedule projects to download, specify download levels, and
restrict downloads to certain links only.

You can download it free from:
http://download.cnet.com/downloads/0-10067-100-6624186.html?tag=st.dl.10001-
103-1.lst-7-1.6624186

Believe me, you will be up and running with it in 2 minutes.

One tip:
Once you download a site, you don't need to access it through WebCopier's
project file. Just use your browser as normal.

================================
For a preview of our fall workshops,
see http://www.gordonandgordon.com
Gordon Graham, partner