FWD: On using pirated software

Subject: FWD: On using pirated software
From: anonfwd -at- raycomm -dot- com
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Wed, 22 Aug 2001 05:38:37 -0600 (MDT)

Forwarded anonymously on request, for obvious reasons.
Reply to the list if you want the original poster to
see your commentary. EJR

> As a starting point (and a means to gracefully segue back to
> tech writing), I'd love to know why more than 10% of the
> people who responded to this week's poll use pirated or
> unlicensed software to do their tech writing jobs.

I responded to the poll that I have used unlicensed software as a
technical writer for one simple reason. My employer expects me to use
certain software tools to get my job done, but they'll only purchase one copy of
the software for the whole department. If I don't use the software, then
I'm not fulfilling my job and I'll be fired. It's completely out of the
picture for me to consider purchasing all of the software on my own.

Of course, this situation presents an ethical dilemma; do the work and
break the law in the process by using illegal software, or take a stand
and put myself out of a job. In this case I can't afford to take a stand.
Of course, my impression is that if anyone got busted for the illegal
software it would be the employer, not me.

I'd have to guess that my situation is hardly unique.

Forwarded anonymously on request. If you want the
original poster to see your response, you must reply
to the TECHWR-L list. All direct replies to this
message are automatically discarded. Contact Eric
ejray -at- raycomm -dot- com with questions.