Re: Contractors: Run Credit Checks for Questionable Customers?

Subject: Re: Contractors: Run Credit Checks for Questionable Customers?
From: Hannah <to -dot- hannah -at- usa -dot- net>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: 17 Aug 2001 12:50:45 EDT

> Andrew Plato wrote:
>

> | No they don't. I would never pay a contractor up front for work. Never,
> | ever. How do I know the contractor won't take my money and just run and
> | never do the job. Do you pay the plumber, lawyer, or doctor upfront? No.

I don't think those are very good comparisons. I do pay my doctor upfront
(there's really nice assistant who takes my money before she even puts my
chart to the doctor). There are also plenty of other places I pay first, such
as for training classes and schools, conventions, and most consumer goods,
such as books, groceries, etc. And if you want to stick to services, most
contractors coming into my home require a down payment of some sort (providing
it is more than a day's work). How do I know the teacher can teach well? I
don't. I must pay and then I take the class and if I think they cannot teach
rarely does the institution agree to refund my money.

It is reasonable to expect a percentage down, however, I believe the
suggestion of a well written contract protecting both parties rights is
essential. That is how the company can be protected in case you do "take the
money and run".

Hannah Bissell
SI - ECC
to -dot- hannah -at- usa -dot- net