Re: A Question of Ethics (was: Overriding Acrobat User Settings)

Subject: Re: A Question of Ethics (was: Overriding Acrobat User Settings)
From: "Tom Sullivan" <tsullivan -at- netexpress -dot- net>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Thu, 16 Aug 2001 13:52:03 -0700

Hey Y'all,

I believe Andrew has nailed the bottom line...profit.

Few with any business acumen, go into business with any other motivation
than profit. I believe many embark upon business ventures with a good idea,
but that idea is mired (ultimately) in the P&L statement.

And as time goes on, the addition of good ideas (and profitable products),
happen not because good ideas in and of themselves create anything, but
because the potential for profit exists within those good ideas.

Although I don't discount the altruistic motivations that often evolve from
good ideas, those big-hearted souls often have made obscene profits prior to
activating their altruistic desires. Bill Gates is a perfect example.

If profit were not the uppermost concern, then I would be one of the world's
most successful Web developers and fictional authors. I have great ideas,
undeterred initiative, unswerving dedication, and unmatched desire. What I
do not have is what Andrew labeled as:

..."A good idea without a laser beam focus on marketing,
selling, and making a profit
from that good idea is useless..."

I'm a producer, not a marketing guru. I believe synergy plays as big a part
in success as does timing or anything else. But to the exclusion of
everything else, profit is the bottom line.

Take care and be good to yourselves!