Re: Code examples/templates

Subject: Re: Code examples/templates
From: David Castro <thetechwriter -at- yahoo -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Thu, 16 Aug 2001 06:09:16 -0700 (PDT)

jeanne a. e. devoto suggested:

> How about, where you have a section of documentation that deals with a
> section of code, incorporating a line or three of that code inline with the
> documentation at that point? Readers can read the entire heavily-commented
> code example, then read the documentation on it, and have the specific line
> being described right there in front of them for easy reference while
> reading.

I would agree with Jeanne. This is how I have been including code samples into
the JSP web site I'm working up, and it has been well-received by the few
people who are previewing my site for me. The readers can go to the source code
to follow the logic flow throughout the whole module, and they can read the doc
for individual descriptions of segments of code.

Great to hear that Jane is tech-savvy enough to be able to comment the code
that she has either created herself or that has been provided to her. (Not to
stir up the whole "does a technical writer need to be technical" debate again!)

-David Castro
email -at- davidcastro -dot- com
http://www.davidcastro.com

http://phonecard.yahoo.com/