Re: Should the Doc Manager be equal to the Dev Manager? Response

Subject: Re: Should the Doc Manager be equal to the Dev Manager? Response
From: Andrew Plato <intrepid_es -at- yahoo -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Wed, 15 Aug 2001 11:06:17 -0700 (PDT)

"Teemu S." wrote...

> The Bottom Line: What I've learned from all this is that I need to learn
how
> to argue better and I need to gain the courage to openly disagree with
my
> boss more often.

There are ways to get across your ideas without arguing and confronting
people. But it takes time.

People will listen to you if they respect your opinions. If they think
what you do adds real value, they'll listen. If people think you add no
value or minimal value to the project they won't listen.

Many Development Managers do not think tech writers add much value to
their work. Unfortunately, this is often the case. Many writers do not add
value. They just chew up resources arguing over insufferably petty issues.

Armed with this, you have to counter this image. Your dev manager may see
you as just a burden. Therefore, if you want to gain his respect, you must
give him something of value. And you have to do this within the boundaries
he has created. You cannot play his game on your home turf. You have to
play on his feild with his rules...its just the way it goes.

That means you need to go along with him for awhile and build his
confidence in you. Nobody is going to respect you or your skills right off
the bat. And if you challenge people without having their respect, they
will fight you no matter how ingenious your ideas.

> I have lacked confidence, especially in the presence of a forceful, 6'6"
> boss who dominates everyone in the company (including his superiors most
of
> the time). I am also loathe to debate every decision I make with someone
who
> thinks usability is a joke and understands nothing about documentation.

He probably doesn't have a high opinion of you either. Remember love and
hate go both directions. Either you outsmart this guy or you live under
him.

> I thought it would help if I could argue with the Dev. Mgr from some
other
> position other than a subordinate one. Whether it was a support tech
writer
> or a Doc Mgr, I didn't care. I just wanted more autonomy to set
priorities.
> I thought that I could make a case for having a tech writer report to
> someone other than the Dev Mgr.
>
> But the fact is that I need to learn how to express needs and decisions
> clearly, argue my case, and openly disagree with my boss.

You need to earn his confidence and respect first. Then work on making
changes. You're assuming that everything you suggest is a good idea and he
is just shooting them down because he doesn't care. It could be that he
has a vision and he wants it fulfilled. That vision may be contrary to
yours, but it may also be correct.

> Question: What changes can a development department make that would
help a
> lone tech writer produce more? Better UI through UI reviews and
iterations.
> Specifications that are accurate and up to date? Bug tracking processes?
> Project plans? A UI freeze some time before ship date? A development
freeze
> some time before ship date? Hiring a real tester?

You're looking for procedural and process improvements for what is
essentially a personality problem. More people and elaborate procedures
are not going to establish respect for co-workers. 12 monkeys is not
better than 1 smart ape.

Furthermore, small, immature companies are inherently chaotic and dynamic.
Either you learn to live in that, or you walk. The company is not going to
change because one employee is unhappy with the arrangement. You have to
learn to work within the company, not the other way around. This is
especially true for small, struggling companies. They cannot afford to
cater to ever employee's whim and need.

If that bothers you - do not work for a small company. Go get a job at a
larger company or one that is more fitting to your personality.

So before you take a class in arguing with this Dev Manager...try to play
his game for awhile. Figure out what he wants and give it to him. Put
aside your desires right now and play his game. After awhile, he'll start
to respect you and then you can start making suggestions on how to improve
the process. You will also notice that as you earn the respect of your
co-workers, they will respond in kind by giving you the power and
authority you want.

Andrew Plato

http://phonecard.yahoo.com/