RE: Senior Technical Writer

Subject: RE: Senior Technical Writer
From: "Brierley, Sean" <Sean -at- Quodata -dot- Com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Tue, 14 Aug 2001 08:59:35 -0400

> "The true measure of leadership is influence -- nothing more,
nothing
> less." -- John Maxwell

Well, that's awfully cute, but for every leader there are ten managers
pushing his butt out the door. There are a bunch of cute and naive quotes on
this subject, I'll not address them all for fear of getting stuck in the
goo.

I have not seen this trend . . ..

> Now, that is a rather broad oversimplification. However, it explains why
> so many companies have so many bad people. They focus on managing things
> vs. motivating people. Personally, I don't mind being motivated, its being
> managed that ruffles my feathers.

If so many companies have so many bad people, how can the hypothesis that
butt-kissers get nowhere in the long run be correct? Doesn't this thought
contradict the previous one? (I agree with the sentiment, I really do wish
it were this way . . . and I've tried to make it so . . . but my head is
bleeding because the brick wall is many layers thick . . ..)

I grant you, there are a few companies out there that value leadership,
motivated do-ers. However, their voices are drowned out by the multitude of
companies where the sycophants rule the roost . . ..

Regards,

Sean
sean -at- quodata -dot- com