Template

Subject: Template
From: promila chitkara <promilac -at- yahoo -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Mon, 13 Aug 2001 05:15:49 -0700 (PDT)

Hello!

I am new to Technical Writing. I would start developing the
content for my first user manual tomorrow. In addition to
the content, I also need to design a template for the
manual. The manual will be developed using two different
file types: FrameMaker (.fm file) and Word (.doc file).
Both files (.fm and .doc) should have similar
design/template. That is required in order to maintain
consistency and style.

Though, I know how to design a template using Quark Express
or FrameMaker, I do not know how to maintain uniformity if
I need to use the same template in the Word document. For
example, if the page size in .fm file is 5?x 7? and page 1
appears on the LHS and page 2 on the RHS then how do I
maintain the same format in the Word document.

I thought of using Landscape page setup so that I can
create two text boxes of 5?x7? and link them. But then I
realized that changing the page from Portrait to Landscape
would not change the size of the page, it will still remain
8?x11?.

I would have definitely experimented more if I had more
time at my disposal and would not thought of bothering you
so soon, but the problem is I need to start with Word doc
itself. It sounds unfortunate and challenging as well.
Isn?t it?

Looking forward to your help.

Thanks

Promila