RE: Stress Management Amongst Technical Writers

Subject: RE: Stress Management Amongst Technical Writers
From: "Hannah Bissell" <to -dot- hannah -at- usa -dot- net>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Fri, 10 Aug 2001 15:15:30 -0400

DR Smith stated:

> The most stressful:
>
> A manager who has a rage problem.>
>snip<

rage problem.......yeah......how about a VP that micromanages and starts
throwing computer equipment when things don't go as he thinks they should
(usually because of his micromanagement)? the VP has been allowed to do this
repeatedly. one more reason not to work for that company (this is not the
company i now work at).

other stresses:

being brought in on a project 2/3 of the way through and having to write all
of the documentation that should have been written from the start.

being the most junior techwriter and having to find tactful ways to instruct
a more senior techwriter on simple Word features (like find and replace,
macros, editing/grammar rules).

constant back and forth on "we have a deadline", "no, now we don't", "now we
do, but it's sooner than the first", "now we don't, don't worry about" "hey
do you have that doc done? we need it for tomorrow's (or sooner) meeting".
combating this while still very new to this and not sure of myself (but
knowing I can't let any bad habits start).

stress relief:
soccer. run around kicking the hell out of a ball and (legally) shouldering
other players till you drop.
hiking. just spend hours where no one could reach you if they wanted.

Hannah Bissell
Technical Writer
SI - ECC

".......because life is too short to waste it whining."