RE: Stress Management Amongst Technical Writers

Subject: RE: Stress Management Amongst Technical Writers
From: "Swallow, William" <WSwallow -at- courion -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Fri, 10 Aug 2001 14:07:34 -0400

>>>A manager who has a rage problem.(The manager is new so he is
>>>inexperienced. He is also uneducated (no degree) and is allowed
>>>to blow up at the tech writers (We have lost 11 in the last year)

He is allowed to do so or no one has confronted his superiors about this. If
you can't resolve this issue via upper management (which you should, as no
one should have to deal with someone else's rage on the job), then I suggest
your team collectively retaliate against your manager, either by avoidance
or by blatantly ignoring him.

>>>A manager who talks down to tech writers

Again, shouldn't have to put up with this. If you can't get true results,
then I suggest all the tech writers start talking down to him. Belittle him
10 times over how he belittles all of you. Just for fun, try to make him
cry. ;)

Sorry, but it sounds like your manager needs a stern spanking and a trip to
his room without dinner or TV.

>>>Having a performance review where my work is praised but I
>>>lose points because I don't socialize enough and go to lunch
>>>with my associates when they go. (Even though I get along with
>>>them well!)

Bring this to the attention of upper management. Get your peers' approval in
writing.

I can't advise on the salary thing except to suggest the possibility of
moving if management won't budge on their pay scheme. :-/

>>>A bad economy that makes us hostage to this job and situation.

Yeah, the economy sucks. But... would your company rather lose all its tech
writers or lose a sucky manager? Think about that over the weekend.

;)

Good luck!

*****************
BILL SWALLOW
Technical Writer
C O U R I O N C O R P O R A T I O N
1881 Worcester Road
Framingham, Mass. 01701
T E L * 508-879-8400 x316
F A X * 508-879-8500
www.courion.com
THIS EMAIL CONTAINS CONFIDENTIAL INFORMATION
MEANT FOR THE INTENDED RECIPIENT ONLY. PLEASE
DELETE THIS IF YOU HAVE RECEIVED IT IN ERROR.