RE: Senior Technical Writer Status

Subject: RE: Senior Technical Writer Status
From: "Dugas, Andrew" <ADugas -at- eTranslate -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Fri, 10 Aug 2001 12:09:43 -0700

It's not about respect or entitlement or being anal about protecting one's
little corner of the world.

It's about $$$. It's about how things work in the Real Business World.

Call a recruiter and ask how much a TW makes. Then ask how much a Senior TW
makes. Then ask yourself which title you'd rather see on your business card.

End of argument.

Should salaries be based on a more detailed analysis of skills and
experience? Of course. Is that likely to become the norm some day? I
certainly hope so. But until that day dawns, if salary decisions will be
based on my job title, then by God I want the best title I deserve. (Stress
on deserve.)

Beyond that, I don't lose any sleep over it.

Does having a higher title eliminate opportunities because one may be
perceived as overqualfied? Depends on the job market where you live. Here in
the SF Bay Area, there still seems to be a surplus of opportunity. Not like
it was a year or so ago, but a surplus nonetheless. (Although in all
fairness I hear contractors are having a rougher time of it.)

Were there a glut of tech writers, were it a buyer's market, things might be
different. I was laid off for six weeks this summer. Not once did I sense I
missed an opportunity for being overqualified.

And my new job offered a decent salary boost over my old one - thanks, I
might add, to the Senior on my title.

Andy