RE: Senior Technical Writer

Subject: RE: Senior Technical Writer
From: "Dugas, Andrew" <ADugas -at- eTranslate -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Fri, 10 Aug 2001 09:36:35 -0700

As a North American Hi-Tech worker I certainly do attach great importance to
my title.

That "Senior" attached to the title translates to about 20% - 30% higher
compensation ($$$$$).

I notice many posters belong to the "call me what you want, just pay me
fairly" school of thought. This strikes me as naive. By the same logic they
could send in a resume written in crayon, since the qualifications read the
same be they written in crayon or laser ink.

Simply put, your title today will affect your pay tomorrow. Consider a
hiring manager scanning resumes for an experienced tech writer.

If your resume says "Senior" they have the assurance that at least SOMEONE
out there considered you so qualified. No "Senior" and they'll have to read
deeper; if they have a lot of resumes, they'll call the non-Seniors last, if
ever. Unless of course they are looking to low ball you on salary.

To sum up, IMHO job title directly affects compensation and opportunity,
both present and future. So by God yes I do attach importance to it!

Andy Dugas