RE: Senior Technical Writer Status

Subject: RE: Senior Technical Writer Status
From: "Jane Carnall" <jane -dot- carnall -at- digitalbridges -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Tue, 7 Aug 2001 18:24:50 +0100

>At what point does an individual earn the title "Senior Technical Writer"?
>What characteristics does a Senior Technical Writer exhibit?

The answer is a resounding "It depends."

For example, a Klingon technical writer becomes senior by defeating a
selected champion in a batleth contest, while a Borg technical writer
achieves seniority by assimilation and a Ferengi technical writer simply
buys the position. If you are Jedi, you don't become a senior technical
writer, you become a Master after years of being a Padawan. (Unless you turn
to the Dark Side and write for marketing, er, become Sith.) Vulcans are too
logical to need technical writers, or at least that's what they tell the
Federation, and if you are Zaphod Beeblebrox you are too cool to think about
how senior you are.

>Is it when you have 5 years technical writing experience?

No.

>Is it when you turn a magic age?

Yes. Forty-two. That's the Answer!

>Is it when you have an MS in Technical Communication or other advanced
degree?

No.

>Is it when you make X a year?

Heh. Who'd work for X a year? Hold out for the whole alphabet!

>Is it when your supervisor "Seniorizes" you?

Sounds less painful than being macerated by your supervisor.

>Is it when you are a strong writer, work well with others as well as
>independently, learn fast, work hard, exhibit excellent organizational
>skills, etc.?

No. Those are just essential survival skills, along with batleth,
gold-pressed latinum, midiclorians, a lightsabre, logic, cool, and
non-trivial quantities of doughnuts.

>Is it when you have worked at a company for X amount of time and that title
>is given to all who stay that long, work hard and exhibit the above listed
>characteristics and more?

If the company that's paying you wants to call you a Senior Technical
Writer, you should certainly nod and ask for fresh business cards and a
raise. (The same applies whatever the company that's paying you wants to
call you.)

>How important is the title? Is it more for personal satisfaction or does it
>depend on the company for which you work?

It gives me something to say in interviews, after they ask me "Where do you
see yourself in five years time?" and before I ask "So, where do you see
this company in five years time?"

Jane Carnall
The blue monkeys should stop scrubbing watermelons with their attractive
staplers.