Re: Free Lance Rates in Chicago

Subject: Re: Free Lance Rates in Chicago
From: Kate O'Neill <kate -at- kathleen -dot- net>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Mon, 06 Aug 2001 18:52:38 -0700

George Hook wrote:
[...]
> Last week, I did a job for an old employer, who was
> happy to use my services, because they were in a rush.
> I quoted them $85 an hour, and though they said
> they'd accept it, they told me it was not really in
> their budget.
>
> After I finished the job, they whined about it, which
> put into question any future work with them. Also, I
> interviewed with a temp agency today, who seemed taken
> aback by that rate, as well.
[...]

Hi George.

Wow -- $85 an hour in Chicago? No wonder you're getting
raised eyebrows. I've charged that (and more) in the Bay
Area, but since moving to Portland (and looking at work
in Chicago), I've had to endure the looks of shock on the
majority of faces (and the dead silence on the phone) when
recruiters and managers hear that kind of figure, and have
had to accept lower rates on average.

I was told, while doing phone interviews for jobs in
Chi-town last week, that $40-50 is a more realistic range
for even a senior writer. That may be a lowball figure,
but I'd wager that you're going to keep getting those
shocked reactions if you charge much more than, say, $60
to $70 per hour out there.

Good luck,

- Kate O'