Re: More responsibilities, but no more $

Subject: Re: More responsibilities, but no more $
From: Anne -dot- Robotti -at- radisys -dot- com
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Thu, 2 Aug 2001 13:11:04 -0400

It's an issue of a lot of things, but ethics is probably the least of
them.

And sitting down and working it out doesn't make you some kind of a
weenie who's being abused.

Managers have problems too. And by and large, they want their
employees to be happy. You wanted that raise, and I'm guessing
that unless your manager is just an emotionally manipulative jerk,
s/he wanted you to have it. What exactly is the manager *getting*
out of jerking you around in this situation? The fun of it? An unhappy
employee where there could have been a happy and productive
one? The manager's gaining *nothing* from not giving you a promised
raise. There's no payoff for them, if they hadn't wanted to give you a
raise for the new work, they wouldn't have offered one. So the prob-
ability is, they didn't purposely offer it and then take it away. Let's
all
get a grip here.

You could get up, scream, "You're an a**hole for not doing what you
promised!" and walk out the door right now. You could resign in a
fit of righteous indignation. And probably, what that would mean is that
you'd be out of a job and they'd have somebody tomorrow to do your
job *with* all the additional responsibilities for the same price they're
paying you right now. Doing something to "teach the company a lesson"
always incites me to fits of giggles. You'd be teaching them nothing
except exactly how expendable you are.

I think, FWIW, that getting hysterical and personal about these types
of purely business situations is *far* more of a "female" thing to do
than to let employers abuse you. Women do it all the time, I'm usually
very embarassed for them.

Go work it out, and let us know what happens.

Anne Robotti
Technical Writer
RadiSys Corporation
7 Clarke Drive, Cranbury NJ 08512
(609) 655-3111 x-326
Meddle not in the affairs of technical writers, for the box contains three
jacks and the board only has two plugs...

Annamaria Profit <inteltek2 -at- earthlink -dot- net>
Sent by: bounce-techwr-l-70580 -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com
08/02/2001 11:36 AM
Please respond to Annamaria Profit

To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
cc:

Miranda,

It's an issue of ethics. Either they do what they say they will do or
they
won't. If they don't, they can't be trusted to do anything! I know it's
woman's way to just adjust to whatever "hell" breaks loose, but it's no
way
to work. You have a right to expect respect and ethical treatment. If
you're not getting it, and it's clear you're not, let them do their own
stinkin work! ; ) You're not doing yourself any favors letting them abuse

you. And you're not teaching them not to abuse employees by letting them
roll over you!

Do I need to send my Uncle Guido to make them an offer they won't refuse?
; )