Re: More responsibilities, but no more $

Subject: Re: More responsibilities, but no more $
From: Anne -dot- Robotti -at- radisys -dot- com
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Thu, 2 Aug 2001 09:06:37 -0400

I'm not sure that, in this economy and without another job, I'd jump right
into a lawsuit!

How about stepping back and taking a look at the problem?

Let's make a little list:

1. What are the additional responsibilities?

Do you enjoy them?
Are they relevant to your current job?
Are they likely to be valuable to you in your next job?
Do they encroach on your ability to get other work done?

2. Why was the pay raise yanked?

Was it yanked temporarily, or permanently?
Do you have the kind of boss you can heavily leverage this with at
review time?
Is there another alternative? Extra vacation? (I'd do almost
anything to get out of here an extra week a year!)

3. What is your current situation?

Do you like your job?
Do you want to change jobs?
If you want to change jobs, do you have offers or prospects?

Just because something fell through, doesn't mean there's nothing that can
be done about it, or that
management pulled some kind of sneaky, underhanded bait and switch on you.
It *could* mean that,
but frankly with things the way they are I'd be surprised if it did.

Go talk to your manager, and lay your concerns on the table. "We made a
certain deal, and now I'm
concerned because it seems that the situation has changed. I understand
that you need this
work done, and I would like you to understand that I feel I have the right
to be compensated in some
way for that. I understand that a raise right now is out of the question.
I'd like to discuss compensatory
time off, or a raise/bonus schedule which would equal the figure we
discussed by the end of next year."

Managers are people too, and they appreciate a reasoned, well thought out
approach as much as
anybody.

Anne Robotti
Technical Writer
RadiSys Corporation
7 Clarke Drive, Cranbury NJ 08512
(609) 655-3111 x-326
Meddle not in the affairs of technical writers, for the box contains three
jacks and the board only has two plugs...

Tothscribe -at- aol -dot- com
Sent by: bounce-techwr-l-70580 -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com
08/02/2001 08:37 AM
Please respond to Tothscribe

To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
cc:

>My company has changed its mind and will not give me an increase.
>
> What would you do if this happened to you?

If they put the offer in writing and rescinded, sue for it. If they
didn't, start job hunting immediately and (as soon as you have an offer in
hand, no need to be suicidal) tell the management that you will not work
with any company that practices bait-and-switch.

Actually, either way, start job hunting. A company that lies egregiously
to you once will do so again, so don't give them the chance.

Nea Dodson