Re: Cost of doing business

Subject: Re: Cost of doing business
From: Thomas Neuburger <thomasn -at- twelfthnight -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Thu, 02 Aug 2001 08:37:14 -0700

Thanks for the kind words, Kevin.

Speaking from the vendor side, it does take extra effort (i.e., hand crafting which many aren't willing to do) to work international shipping to the customer's best advantage.

I feel for all of us who have to buy internationally, but especially the Aussies, who are hit twice, once by the exchange rate and again by the distance. So I'm willing to make some of that up; other vendors feel likewise, but not all, as Kevin points out.

Request -- If there is a best/cheapest way to ship to Australia, feel free, anyone, to post it so we all know the magic words. US Postal Service Surface is inexpensive, but sometimes the trans-Pacific boat makes many stops first. I've been shipping USPS Air International, but that seems too costly and doesn't provide tracking. UPS and the others are *way* costly.

Advice? Thanks!

Cheers,

Tom Neuburger

The Masters Series: FrameMaker 6
ISBN 1-930597-01-0

Softpro and Quantum Books in MA
Bookpeople Bookstore in Austin TX
Irvine Sci-Tech Books in CA

Kevin wrote:

... Come to think of it, when I received Neuburger's
"The Masters Series - FrameMaker 6", I just came
home one day to find it between my doors. No hassle,
no extra charges. The same for "Words into Type".
I believe the shippers simply used the correct magic
words and incantations on the package and shipping
documents.
Yet some other books and CDs... well, you'd think
I was trying to ship plutonium. Why so much variation?

A landmark hotel, one of America's most beautiful cities, and three and a half days of immersion in the state of the art: