Re: New TECHWR-L Poll Question

Subject: Re: New TECHWR-L Poll Question
From: "Karen E. Black" <kblack_text -at- hotmail -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Mon, 30 Jul 2001 15:03:19 -0400

I'm not hugely interested in the software I'm writing about, outside of working hours. In fact, I've never been very interested in any software, although it may be fun, challenging, or boring to use and document.

I HAVE heard of developers who develop all day, then go home and develop some more, just for the fun of it. I don't know any project managers who do that, or database analysts, or test analysts, or team leaders, or technical writers. It's a different mind set.

Karen E. Black
Technical Writer
www.dhltd.com
"Higgledy Piggledy, my white hen;
She lays eggs for gentlemen.
You cannot persuade her with gun or lariat
To come across for the proletariat."
--Dorothy Parker

From: Bruce Byfield <bbyfield -at- axionet -dot- com>

Deborah Ray wrote:
How interested are you, as a technical writer, in
the subject that you document?
I'm saddened to think that so many people are spending their lives at
work that they don't especially care for. However, more to the point, I
strongly suspect that the answers would be very different for
developers. At least a large minority of geeks are regularly increasing
their knowledge, and some even program in their spare time for open
source or free software projects. I wonder: could that be the reason
that so many tech-writers don't get along with their SMEs? Could the
geeks unconsciously sense the indifference to the topics that occupy
large chunkes of their lives?