RE: Vector Graphics

Subject: RE: Vector Graphics
From: "Dan Hall" <dhall -at- san-carlos -dot- rms -dot- slb -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Mon, 30 Jul 2001 07:57:41 -0500

As Geoff Hart mentioned, this is possible, but truly difficult.

One solution:

It is possible to create all the elements needed to draw a Windows screen,
and then use them to "build" a screen shot. I've done this to mock up
interfaces that don't exist yet.

At my last employer (where designing interfaces _was_ the job) the graphic
designers built all the necessary Windows elements (menu bars, scrollbars,
buttons, icons, etc.) using Freehand, and then drew the screen by placing
those elements. It was fairly quick and easy, once the initial setup was
done. The buttons contained dummy text that could be changed to the
appropriate label, and the results were impressive. I'm not sure you could
have told their results from a real screen shot.

As I said, I've done similar work using Corel Draw to mock up an interface
for a project. It's a lot of work, and probably isn't worth doing if your
interface is highly customized (proprietary widgets, icons, etc.) There are
also a lot of issues involving screen resolution, anti-aliasing, etc. But it
does work.

Dan

Dan Hall
Sr. Technical Writer
SchlumbergerSema GTSRN

All the opinions, errors, sarcasm, and wit (if any) expressed in this
e-mail are solely mine. SchlumbergerSema takes neither credit nor blame