RE: Web vs web

Subject: RE: Web vs web
From: Arlen -dot- P -dot- Walker -at- jci -dot- com
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Fri, 27 Jul 2001 11:05:51 -0500

Be consistent and only pedants (a much nicer word than the first one which
lept to mind) will either notice or care.

That having been said, here's my tuppence:

World Wide Web is a proper noun, so when referring to it the word should be
capitalized. But there are more webs than the World Wide one (intranets by
the hundreds, extranets, etc.) so the word "web" is a common noun as well.
A website (whether you prefer one word or two for this) is generic, much
the same as a "shopping mall" along the side of the road, and therefore
shouldn't be capped. Look at it this way: Fireside Bookstore is a proper
noun and "Bookstore" is properly (pardon the pun) capped. "My bookstore,"
even when uttered by the owner of Fireside Bookstore, uses the common noun,
therefore is "de-capped." Capitalize "Website" only if you're putting
"World Wide" in front of it.

Have I sufficiently muddied the water?

Have fun,
Arlen