Learning Styles (was Benchmarking Technical Documentation)

Subject: Learning Styles (was Benchmarking Technical Documentation)
From: leanne -dot- sanderson -at- us -dot- abb -dot- com
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Tue, 24 Jul 2001 13:11:39 -0400

Darren Barefoot asked, "What benefit is "a basic understanding" of how a watch
works going to be to me?"

If you're an analytical learning/thinker it makes a big difference. I am what
they call a "global" learner, I want the big picture, the bottom line. But if
you are a "sequential/analitical" learner, how things work is equally important.

For example, when my husband and I were trying to buy our first television (20
yrs. ago), he wanted to know if it had the old tubes inside (analytical
question), or did it run with the new microchip cards. I thought this question
was a colossal waste of time! All I wanted to know was what button I pushed to
turn the thing on and off and how to adjust the color and sound. But he could
not continue a discussion until he learned the "inside" information.

If you are a trainer, you'll see this all the time. The analitic's ask
technical and theoretical questions, while the rest of the group rolls their
eyes and waits for the "how-to" information to begin. You have to keep these
people in mind because they honestly have trouble moving on without what they
consider to be important information.

Sometimes this information can save you from future headaches - like why your
simple wind-up watch won't work after you wear it scuba diving.

Learn about tools and technologies for user assistance developers at