RE: Salary: HR asked me, and I caved

Subject: RE: Salary: HR asked me, and I caved
From: "Swallow, William" <WSwallow -at- courion -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Mon, 23 Jul 2001 14:50:18 -0400

Oh no, Beth! ;)

Funny how they never qualified WHY they need the data. Sure, they say they
won't verify it. So why ask for it? Tricky indeed. I know it's hard to play
the game. I fall victim to HR as well, and always kick myself later for it.
Interviewing is a hard game to play. We want the job, so we trick ourselves
into thinking we have to play by their rules. In fact, it's just the
opposite. We're bringing the talent to them, so we *should* command the
situation. Alas, HR knows that the pond is swimming with hungry fish... And
it's hard to persuade HR that we're the trophy catch... Hey, a fishing
analogy... HR knows it's boat, tackle and rigging well. HR also knows the
waters, as they're charted, but knows little of what actually goes on below
the surface. They could cast out over the breakers for the big bites, but
honestly bottom fishing yields a more bountiful harvest. They can throw the
little ones back and sort through the "keepers". Meanwhile we know our place
below the surface, but we panic when we're reeled in above the surface -
sometimes it's really hard to breathe. Mmmmm... point? ;)

I would have at least asked why. After all, it's the first question we learn
to ask on the job. Why not ask it before the job as well. ;)

*****************
BILL SWALLOW
Technical Writer
C O U R I O N C O R P O R A T I O N
1881 Worcester Road
Framingham, Mass. 01701
T E L * 508-879-8400 x316
F A X * 508-879-8500
www.courion.com

Learn about tools and technologies for user assistance developers at